Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Snowy Sunday Brunch


This past Sunday, I was supposed to have my official housewarming party. It was called a Sunday Brunch Affair and I asked friends to wear their Sunday's best as brunch would lead in to the Oscars.

In order to properly prepare, Suzy and I began the work at 7 a.m. I cleaned while she cooked. It was snowing, as it had been throughout the night and as I looked at the window - I realized you could not see the million dollar view. I huffed and puffed as I had put all this work in to this party and you couldn't even see the point of the apartment.

Then, around 9:30 a.m., I got a call from the Wicklers. They were about ten miles down the hill on the drive and had pulled over. It was blizzard-like conditions and they weren't going to make it. Sending their sincerest apologies, they explained that Josh wouldn't even drive in this for a gnar powpow day, which, if you know him, is really saying something.

I took one last look at the window, which was in to nothing because you couldn't see anything, and now the Wicklers/Granquists weren't coming and they are my Denver family and so I made the last minute decision to cancel the housewarming. Now if you know me, you know that this killed me but I certainly didn't want any of my loved ones to feel obligated to go out in this storm, just to come and warm my house, eat this food and drink these mimosas.

I sent a mass text (so against my beliefs but it was already short enough notice as it was!) explaining that due to the weather, I would be postponing the housewarming - rescheduling it for sometime in April when the sun was shining and we could enjoy not only the view of the city, but the rooftop deck, as well. I apologized for the change but told everyone that if they still wanted to make the snowy trek, we had plenty of food and drink to last through the day.





And then, people came. And we ate. And we drank. And we played games. And we laughed. A lot.













It reminded me that it's not always about the event - not always about the planning and the prep and the date set - but it is always about the company you keep.

And let me tell you, friends, I keep damn good company.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome. Your place looks amazing! Would love to see more! Also, really enjoyed Fresh in February. Welcome back! Cheers!