Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Good Vibrations


I don't know how much more Americana you get then The Beach Boys.

Yes. I may be biased. If you know Carl Knoch, my father, you can understand why. The Beach Boys were my very first concert at Merriweather Pavillions in Columbia, MD. I was 5-years-old and enjoyed the view from my father's shoulders.

Another....my dad, obviously, a huge Beach Boys fan - wouldn't allow us to listen to the Beach Boys on our way to Stone Harbor for the annual Knoch family beach trip - until we could smell the ocean. I remember every year, rolling down the window, sniffing as hard as Gordon - trying to get just one whiff of saltwater in the air so I could tell him, "Dad, it's time."

More? Ok. Depends on who you ask - but my dad and I are convinced that my first official word was Ba-Ba-Ba because of Barbara Ann - you know, the one to take your hand who's got you rockin' and rollin' who made you take a chance when you were lookin' for romance.

Last one. I promise. 'God Only Knows' has been on every single love mix c.d./playlist I've ever made a boyfriend. Did you date me? Then you know it's true. It's one of the greatest love songs ever written (next to 'Escape' - the Pina Colada song) - that and 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' - which, wouldn't you know it - is another song by the Beach Boys.

Obviously - these boys from California have been a huge influence on my life, so you can understand my excitement when I found out that they were performing at Colorado Remembers - a free concert on the 10th Anniversary of September 11th at Civic Center Park (five blocks from my place). I immediately shared on Facebook (I know, shocking) that I was so excited to re-live my first concert at age 28. My new friend, Jennie, responded with a "we're so going!"

Leading up to this date - I watched a ton of September 11th specials. The 'Dateline' with Tom Brokaw - tears - so many tears. We all spent the weekend talking about where we were, who we were with and how we couldn't believe that it had been ten years. By the time the actual date of September 11th rolled around on Sunday - I was ready for a celebration of life. Thankfully, this celebration happened to be led by the Beach Boys.

Jennie and I danced our butts off to Sloop John B, Be True To Your School, Help Me Rhonda, Surfin' USA, I Get Around, Kokomo and, of course, Good Vibrations. And thanks to Mike Love and co. - we were, indeed, feelin' those Good Vibrations on a day that certainly needed a little California sunshine.



1 comment:

Asian Spice said...

I have a new appreciation for the Beach Boys because of this post. XOXO