Monday, February 23, 2009

Costa Mesa + The Oscars

My weekend was everything I had hoped it would be. I arrived Friday evening after a nice, smooth drive listening to Untouched by The Veronicas (I just can't get enough of that song!) and stories from This American Life on NPR. When I arrived, I walked into Lisa's new spot to find her boyfriend, Clayton, and his brother, Max, cooking us up a meal! And to top THAT off, Clayton immediately made us some delicious mojitos and boy, they sure did pack a punch. I toured her new house, our favorite they've been in yet, and sat in the backyard while the food finished simmering. A bit later, Lisa and I cabbed it to a little spot called Memphis and continued to enjoy the evening air and drinks. (BTW, the cabby on the way there, totally ripped us off but that's a story for another day, I'm keeping this one positive.)

Saturday morning brought me my Juice It Up! and Shirley's bagels, so you know I was a happy girl. Lisa and I lounged for awhile and then packed up the bikes and headed over to Huntington for some afternoon drinks and Mexican food at Fred's. We rode off our fajitas down the beach, stopping along the way to take some photos...


The sky had a breathtaking early morning feel to it that just brought a calmness to the surroundings. On the way back from the beach, we stopped for groceries for dinner that night. Lisa introduced me to Grower's Direct (the freshest produce with the most reasonable prices ever...seriously, we walked out of there with two full bags for $18), Mother's and Henry's (HOLY SNACK BINS). PY came up from LA to spend the evening with us and we all enjoyed some gluten-free pizzas (some were even dairy-free but we all know about my love of cheese so I didn't go there) and plenty of wine. PY and I spent a lot of time on the back deck talking about life and matters of the heart. I think we both needed it.

Yesterday brought that walk on the beach and some scarf shopping at American Vintage.




Mid-afternoon, Lisa packed me up some coffee, snacks for the road and a few mix c.d.s along with some Cat Power to enjoy. Before I knew it, I was back in Las Vegas watching the Oscars.
Speaking of...I REALLY enjoyed the show last night. I thought Hugh Jackman did an excellent job and I liked the way they presented the acting awards (with past winners giving a small speech about the nominees' performance). Slumdog Millionaire sure was the little movie that did. I cried when Heath won. I loved Kate Winslet's dress (and that she won), Angelina's emeralds and the color of Natalie Portman's and Alicia's Keys' dresses (so pretty in pink!). Oh and of course, this guy. I didn't win the Oscar Pool I was in ($300!) but I did score 19 out of 24 correct so I was pretty pleased.
Now I am ready for March.