Friday, January 2, 2015

2014: Year in Review

Suzy put it best when she wrote to me in my Christmas card "2014 brought many unexpected things, most notably, the purchase of your carriage house." Which is true, the purchase of my first home was something no one saw coming, myself included. It is certainly a love story and the thing I am most proud of in my life.

That wasn't the only unexpected thing that happened in 2014 though - I lost a front tooth at age 31, told a man I loved him for the first time in many years, the Broncos lost the Superbowl, my mom and Sam bought a house in Colorado, I watched my #1 bachelor friend get married in Palm Springs, I totaled my car and am now living a car-free life and last but certainly not least - I met a man.

I promised that 2014 would be a happy one and I am thrilled to report that it was. Let's take a look back to see how that came about.

Champagne Spongebath was the perfect way to say LATER GATOR to 2013 (notably the worst year of my life) and usher in 2014 with open arms - and an open mind, with much hope for a better, brighter (and yes, happier) year. But first, I had some loose ends that I needed to tie up in Salt Lake City. So, on a cold night in January, warmed up with some whiskey, I sat in a car and told an Old Friend that I was in love with him. Not to say I regret that moment, but the closure that I was looking for in that conversation didn't come until months later when I realized what a colossal disappointment of a man he actually is. Luckily, fresh powder at Steamboat was awaiting me so with a new gold tooth and a heavy heart, I skied my ass off.

In February, I found my Church with Jen Hicks at Kindness Yoga. My Wednesdays from 5:30-6:30 have been booked ever since. I flew to NYC to work Toy Fair and spent more time in the The City than I ever had before (a whopping 48 hours). I found myself lost inside the Met (in the best way possible); reading in a cafe with a class of wine while snow fell outside; dining with one of my oldest friends, PY; shopping, naturally; and chatting with media from around the world about my clients' products. Shortly after I returned, I was on the slopes with the entire Knoch clan. Where I came too close to death not from the conditions or hitting a sick jump but via a murphy bed. The best of times spent with the best of people. I'm so fortunate to have the family that I do.

March brought the celebration of March babies and my first (of many) trips to Work + Class. If you've come to Denver in the past nine months, I am sure you've hit this spot with me. #obsessed. In April, my mom and Sam were here for their annual trip and I hosted my annual Easter Egg Hunt Brunch where we hopped like bunnies to Dead Prez in the middle of Table 6. Then this Tiny Dancer went to see Elton John play a Million Dollar Piano on a trip home with Suzy, which, as expected, was nothing short of incredible. Come May, the Wicklers and I hopped on a plane to Palm Springs were we celebrated the nuptials of Austin and Paige. It was my first time to this oasis in the desert and I quickly fell in love. From the cactus garden to the architecture to the culture - I can't wait to go back. A few weeks later I took my first trip to Grand Rapids, Mich. for Cushe's conference where I learned that GR is the home of good people, tasty beer and a great big lake.

I turned 31 in June with one of my best friends by my side thanks to a visit from Renee. We did what we do best - shook our asses, went to a baseball game and hosted a fantastic party. On Friday the 13th, Suzy brought over some Popeyes' Chicken and on my third bite in, my front tooth fell out. See, I didn't bother listing the number of dental appointments that carried through from 2013 but how I came to being so hick was that I had gone through three root canals on a tooth (for those of you who have known me for over 15 years, it was the tooth that was once my vampire tooth - they found an infection through all of the crazy x-rays I had to get during the jaw fiasco of '13). After the third attempt, it was decided that I would have to have the tooth extracted and have an implant put in. Popeyes' had a different path in mind, leading us to their new slogan "SO GOOD MAKE YOUR TOOF FALL OUT!" Then, silly me, I thought it would be maybe a week, two tops, that I would be missing A FRONT TOOTH but here I sit, with a gaping hole still in the front. Well, when I take my flipper out that is. January 8th brings a new year, new tooth. But I digress...I traveled to Napa Valley with Lauren, Suzanne and Pepper a week after the incident to drink my worries away.

The rest of the summer brought camping trips, Disney cruise prep (we watched all of our favorites leading up to the Cruise including The Little Mermaid, The Sword in the Stone, Mary Poppins, Aladdin and more), my first trip to Crested Butte - one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, cousin day at WaterWorld, an Abba tribute, a visit from my travel partner-in-crime Chloe and eventually - the purchase of the Carriage House.

On the day that I found out that my offer was accepted on the house, it was a year to the day that my jaw locked and I was on my way to my oral surgeon. I was running late, I had just gotten the call about the house (which had all happened in three days time from seeing it, deciding on it and having it happen), and it was raining cats and dogs. I was pulling into the surgeon's parking lot when I failed to see a car coming around the corner and nailed it. Everyone was okay but my car was not, leading me to the decision to live a car-free life. The last thing I needed was a car payment on top of my new shiny mortgage. It's been a pretty easy transition thanks to my bike, Car2Go, Lyft, the RTD and favors from friends.

Feeling a bit crazed, I took a weekend off from it all and went to see Justin Timberlake perform at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas with some of my favorite people. This was my tenth time seeing him do his thing and never did I expect to be able to see the sweat drip from his forehead as he gyrated above me on a moveable staircase. Needless to say, we were all incredibly hoarse the next day and were like a bunch of teenage girls replaying our Instagram videos again and again. Ann, Renee and I also visited our old stomping grounds - Body English - following the concert. OH THE MEMORIES that came flushing back but as much as it's the same, it'll never be the same. But proving that things can surprise you - Andy's Fun Field Games crowned Michael and I the 2014 champions. We're still waiting on our trophy to be engraved. #TeamSad&AloneFTW

I closed on the Carriage House on August 26th and moved in that very night.

I got the best housewarming ever when Lauren came out just a few days later to visit over Labor Day. Which brings me to the fact that I am so incredibly lucky to have the friends that I do. Thanks to her and Linz, we got the place unpacked and looking like a home in just a few days time. I couldn't have done it without their help breaking the place in.

On a sad/similar note, I had quite the breakup that very same week - or at least what I would call the beginning of the end. Since we haven't had our own heart-to-heart, I don't feel it to be appropriate to talk about it here but I don't want to not acknowledge a huge missing piece of my life in this recap. I went on a boat and when I came back, she was no longer in my life. I wish I could tell you why things fell apart the way they did with my friend and coworker but I do not have all the answers and I don't know if I ever will. But I've certainly mourned the loss of our friendship and miss a lot of things about her and hope that she is well.

On a happier note - I WENT ON THAT BOAT. As the best Christmas gift ever - Aunt Karen took Andy, Jen and me on the Disney Cruise. All of my years of pestering finally paid off and BIG TIME because let me tell you - the vacation totally lived up to my expectations (which hardly ever happens when I hype something as much as I did this trip). We started our adventure at the Animal Kingdom Resort at DisneyWorld where I became friends with David (a giraffe that slept outside of our room the very first night). The first day, we managed to hit three parks - Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Second day, we spent at the Magic Kingdom and on day three, we got on the boat. During the Sail Away party, tears ran down my face for the first, but not the last, time during our five day excursion. I was in the middle of the ocean with three of my best friends, two who happen to be blood, sailing the Caribbean. When we landed on Castaway Cay (Disney's private island), I felt like I had finally come home. I don't know how often I asked if we could just stay on the island, send for our loved ones and pets, and sip on Konk Koolers from now until eternity.  I'm already starting to save all of my pennies to someday be able to take all of us back on the Disney Wonder. To say that it was an experience of a lifetime would be somehow selling it short.

October brought the Carriage Housewarming and a weekend with Pep's help on the house where we painted, repaired and shopped. I have to take this opportunity to thank a few people for their support over the past year with everything Carriage House. From emotional support to pellet fetching to finding/buying the house to hanging mirrors to yard work - I couldn't have done it without Gem, Michael, Jill, Pep, Suzy, Dustin, Lauren, Linz and most recently Lisa who helped me rearrange my entire upstairs, making it feel more open and well suited.

Halloween was a total blast and ended in the way that it always does - after hours of dancing, I found myself crying, covered in blood. Your's wasn't the same? R.I.P to Kitty aka Tupac the cat. You taught me how to love (a few) cats and I'll miss your gangster ass ways for the rest of my life.

On November 2, I went on a date to my favorite restaurant (see W&C above) with a man who impressed me with his sense of humor, world travels, brain, drive, ability to cut loose on a random Sunday night and kindness. Since then, we've made four meals, clocked eight hours of the Voice, drank ninety two whiskeys, enjoyed six lazy Sunday mornings, danced for six hours, drank two glasses of Gluhwein, and celebrated one Christmas together. I've described it as my first healthy relationship.

It feels good.

The holidays began with Friendsgiving which brought a full-house this year with over 20 guests and lord knows how many bottles of wine. Even Lisa made it in from California to join in on the celebration. I always love having a piece of homegrown love in Denver so thanks to her for making the trip and to Jen and Andy for hosting our favorite turkey tradition. The rest of the holidays were as hectic as ever - including a Scream holiday party, complete with a limo ride; my annual attendance to Pinnacle's Holiday Party; a surprise shower and send off for little Beanut (whom we miss dearly!); my first Nuggets game; and a trip home to Vegas for Christmas. What a bittersweet trip it was, it being my last Christmas in Las Vegas (for those of you who do not know, Pep and Sam purchased a house in Arvada and will be moving out to Colorado this summer). I spent a ton of time with my family; got some QT in with friends (though never enough); ate at Joe's and In N Out and enjoyed running in 50 degree weather vs. sleets of snow. NYE was spent amongst friends, toasting champagne in the Carriage House with a crawl on Colfax and a few rounds of Cards Against Humanity to top off the night.

Justin and I were driving around yesterday, on a hunt for an OPEN sign on a Mexican food joint when it hit me...2015 is going to be the best year yet. 

So here's to sending merry across the miles. Happy New Year, friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Luv your blog. Hope to read more.